[ExI] plamegate: the plot thickens

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Mon May 28 18:11:54 UTC 2007

spike wrote:
> Ah, so now Plame is claiming that her memo was "taken out of context."
> Hmmm, that is a new one.  Can anyone suggest a context out of which the
> sworn testimony "I did not recommend him. I did not suggest him," would
> agree with the three paragraphs of the memo?  OK I will try some possible
> sentences that would go just previous to Plame's three paragraphs quoted
> below:

Spike,

Not hard to notice the extreme bias in your sarcastic comments, but
nevertheless, below is a perfectly serious answer to your question.

It was trivially easy to come up with this.

I am sure the same import could be found with various other wordings and
pieces of missing context, without having to hypthesize an edit of
Plame's memo itself.

Richard Loosemore.

[Hypothesized extract from the "report" mentioned by Plame:}

"The letter alleging Niger's attempts to purchase uranium, although
probably a fake, is serious enough that we need someone on the ground to
nail down as much hard information as possible.  It is not clear who is
the best person to send, but [redacted] or [redacted] may be able to
recommend someone with the language and investigative skills to get the
job done quickly.  Ideally, we need someone with the kind of contacts to
make good introductions, to smooth the way for whoever does the job."

[Hypothesized original version of the last sentence of the Plame memo
quoted below, before it was doctored by someone determined to take her
words out of context:]

"Now, with this report, it is clear that the IC is still wondering what
is going on. If, as the report implies, we need to find someone who
could go over there, my husband, Ambassador Joseph Wilson, may well be
able to recommend someone, or provide introductions for whoever is
chosen:  my husband has good relations with both the PM and the former
minister of mines, not to mention lots of French contacts, both of whom
could possibly shed light on this sort of activity. To be frank with
you, I was somewhat embarrassed by the agency's sloppy work last
go-round, and I am hesitant to suggest anything again. However, [my
husband] may be in a position to assist with tracking down someone
reliable enough to do a less embarrassing job than before. Therefore,
request your thoughts on what, if anything, to pursue here. Thank you
for your time on this."

[Notice that the original, below, has a lowercase "my" at the beginning
of sentence 2, possibly indicating an unauthorized edit].