[ExI] Linguistic Markers of Class

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon May 28 18:17:16 UTC 2007

At 10:12 AM 5/28/2007 -0700, Spike wrote:

>I wonder what the muggers thought they would get from
>the Mormons.

The satisfaction of the deed? (Not that I approve, mark you.)

>  I have heard that it is a sport among lonely housewives to try to seduce the
>Mormon boys

In GODPLAYERS, one of my rather more ferocious characters has sport
of a somewhat different kind:

==============

           The doorbell rang again, more insistently.
           `Oh, for crying out loud,' the Reverend Jules roared in
vexation. He flung himself out of his chair, went swiftly down the
corridor. I heard the front door open, his irritated, `Yes? How can I
help you?' A soft, indistinct male voice spoke, then another in a
nasal American accent, perhaps a mid-Westerner. `Why, I'm glad you
asked me that question,' Jules said in a voice like golden syrup
laced with rat poison. `Please do come in, these are matters which
have troubled me for many years. I shall be very glad of your
counsel.' The door clicked shut with a jail cell certainty that made
me shiver, and three sets of feet trod towards us. Two young men in
bad haircuts, dark suits, white shirts and drab ties followed Jules
into the living room.
           `August, Coop, I'd like you to meet Elder Bob and Elder
Billy, who have traveled all the way across the Pacific ocean to help
us find peace of soul. Here, gentlemen, sit, sit.' He gestured them
to the couch, where each missionary placed himself uncertainly to
left and right of the robot, who tipped his cap and then sat in
unearthly relaxation. `These men come bearing witness to a miracle of
faith, August, and I would recommend that you study their testimony,
for it will stand you in good stead in the hard times that are at hand.'
           Elder Bob, or perhaps Billy, hardly older than me, was
craning his neck to look at the open Schwelle; its cold wind played
with his cowlick, and his eyes swiveled.
           `Yes, these young worthies asked me if I were Saved, if I
had accepted the Savior, and I found that downright neighborly of
them, don't you agree, August? That they should come out here to
Westgarth on such a hot summer's day in their heavy dark suits just
to pass on to us this timeless message? Apparently it escaped their
notice,' he said, tone silky, `that this household is immediately
adjacent to a place of worship not of their denomination, and that
its occupant might well be, and indeed is, a minister, a pastor, an
ordained clergyman of that very faith--no, no, boys,' he insisted, as
they struggled blushing to their feet, clutching their holy book to
their sweating chests, `no need to feel embarrassment, because I feel
that the Lord has directed your feet or perhaps your bicycle tires
here today, for where else would you be vouchsafed so intimate a
vision of the truth of that doctrine which I sometimes suspect many
of the today's youth affirm only in word and not in heart. Here,
since you're up, allow me. Give me Dis. Coop, if you please.'
           A threshold tore open in the middle of the room. The hairs
went up all over my body, and I felt my gorge rise. It was the stench
of the holocaust world of Septimus but doubled, trebled. Things with
no skin over their raw muscle writhed in agony, screaming from torn,
bloody throats. They rushed toward the opening. Coop had the two
young men by the upper arms, drew them effortlessly across the
threshold, and their own screams joined the rest. I lurched toward
them. I had to do something, this was literally inhuman. Jules spoke
a word; the Schwelle shut with its tearing sound. We were alone, the
two of us, and I tottered on my toes, scared witless, beside myself
with disgust and anger.
           `You prick. Do you think you're God Almighty?'
           He shook his head, amused, eyes bright. `Ah, that was a
tonic. I hate those little shits. Here, do sit down.' He let himself
back into his ratty old chair, eased the creases of his jodhpurs. `No
harm will come to them, silly meaningless toys that they are. Really,
sit down, you'll do yourself a damage if you don't calm down. Oh, for
heaven's sake, very well.' He rose again. `Give me Dis.'
           The shriek of torn reality. Shrieks, plural. `Bring them
back, Coop.' Through the window and its atrocious landscape of
suffering, the machine half-carried its victims. Bob and Billy
sagged, eyes white, pupils pin-pointed, breathing in horrendous
stertorous gasps. Their clothing was in tatters; slime spattered
their legs and shoes. Were those toothmarks?
           `You're Satan,' whimpered Billy, cowering away. The
Schwelle zipped shut behind him. Coop released them; they fell to the
carpet, began crawling away toward the hall, their scriptures
abandoned. `You foul wicked thing.'
           `Oh, get over it. I thought you'd be grateful. The green,
I think, Mr. Fenimore, and then a touch of the blue.'
           `Certainly, sar.' Coop had his amnesing tube out of his
pocket with blinding speed, bathed them in emerald radiance. They lay
like children, curled up, happy smiles on their faces. Blue light
danced, stranger yet, something I had seen once and in effect deleted
from my own memory without need of the green ray. Slime melted away,
like ice slurry under a blow torch. The ripped garments healed
themselves, as the evaporated window had renewed itself in Great-aunt
Tansy's bathroom, like a video tape run backward, like a broken
yellow and viscous mess amid cracked white shell fragments sucked
back together and knitted into a gleaming ovoid, the unbroken egg
flying back upward against gravity into the waiting hand, deposited
swiftly inside the refrigerator door. But this was reality being
edited on the run, not backward but forward, smoothed out, spliced
and repaired.
           I was right, I told myself. I'm in a simulation.
           `Tut tut, you're having a banal thought, August.' Jules
was watching me keenly. `You're assuring yourself that this is some
kind of virtual reality program running on your petaflop home
computer in the year 2051 and you're really some old retired fart
with electrodes jammed into his head, jacked into fantasies and
remembrance of things past.' Close enough, actually; I felt chilled,
and it wasn't just the wind from the open Schwelle. `Ah, ye of little
faith. Nothing so simple, lad, nothing so neat, nothing so... old
hat. Thank you, Coop, I wonder if you'd be so kind as to see our
young friends to the door?'
           `Sar.'
           Dazed, peering about in a sort of pleased confusion, Billy
and Bob took a hand apiece and trailed into the hallway. The door
open, shut quietly. I suppose they pedaled away into the hot north
wind. I never saw them again, and can't imagine what their dreams
told them. If they retained any partial memories of the hell world,
did their epiphany serve to confirm their faith or refute it? I don't
know and, frankly, I don't care. I'm a Player now, a Player of the
Contest of Worlds, and I have bigger fish to fry.