[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue May 29 13:31:55 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou Wrote:

> a dictator could have many thousands of children, and yet although this
> would be a very rational thing for a Darwinian agent to do, it simply
> isn't something that anyone other than a few unusual individuals would
> even contemplate doing.

That's because the dictator's interests and his genes interest are not the
same; however a dictator would do everything he can to increase his power
because if he doesn't take advantage of every opportunity some dictator
wannabe will.

 > it may take trillions of years to get there.

I expect dramatic changes MUCH sooner than that or no changes at all. Even
at today's very slow speeds a von Neumann Machine could be sent to every
star in the Galaxy in less than 50 million years. And then you've got a
engineered Galaxy.

What could prevent this? Well, suppose it turned out that there is an
inverse relationship between intelligence and happiness. Come to think of
it, when you take a drink you become a little bit happier and a little bit
dumber. Hmm.

  John K Clark