[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed May 30 00:52:36 UTC 2007

I repeat the challenge I've sent to this list for well over a decade, if
emotion is not required for intelligent behavior why did Evolution invent
it?...  John K Clark

I'll try one here John.  Emotion is not so much *required* for intelligent
behavior as it is a *result of* intelligent behavior.  As intelligence
evolved, those organisms so endowed began to exercise greater discrimination
among potential mates.  These mate-choosers preferentially chose those
individuals with more empathy and emotion.  These left more offspring.  We
are they.

The worrisome part is that intelligence which does not depend on mate
selection for its origins might not have emotion.  Even if the first
generation of AI does have empathy, it may evolve away over the first few
generations of AI, for there would be no direct feedback loop between
emotion and the next generation of AI.

AI may start out friendly, then get progressively more intelligent and less
concerned whether the meat things live or die.