[ExI] History of Slavery

Fred C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Wed May 30 04:50:37 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 17:58 -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Oh, all right.  :-)     My superficial and over-polarizing statement
> doesn't hold a candle to Sowell's description anyway:

Actually I expected someone with Sowell's reputation to be more precise;
in particular to have a more nuanced categorization instead of Western
versus non-Western.

If "instrumental view of history" has the common meaning of using
history in furtherance of some short term personal and non-historical
project then I caution that we all should be careful.  It is like many
concepts - a double edged sword.

Since there are no specific names attached to the phrase "those with an
instrumental view of history" I do not know if he is talking about a
dozen persons or a gross or more.  The passage would be easier to take
seriously if it had a bit more specificity.

I think attempting to understand slavery, theft of homelands, apartheid,
segregation and a host of other problems in a historical context is a
worthwile per.  I just urge an appropriately complete view with honesty,
clarity and accuracy; and not attempting either to condemn or to absolve
with sweeping over generalizations.

And as for the rejoinder "well we all know what he means"; let me just
say that can trigger me to extra skepticism.

Fred