[ExI] A short film about "natural selection" (Was: Re: Unfriendly AI is a mistaken idea.)

John Grigg desertpaths2003 at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 10:20:28 UTC 2007

Stathis writes

> > I think that men did try to have as many children as possible, for
a while, until
> > women wised up. (I mean that quite seriously;  it's a theory of
evolutionary
> > history that an "arms-race" developed between women who can have
only
> > relatively few children, and men who can have many).
>
> With modern reproductive technologies, it would be possible for women
in
> power to have thousands of children, and men to have many thousands,
> perhaps even millions.

Sounds great!  I've always believed that as many people should be saved
from
non-existence as possible.

  [ Lee, very funny! : ) ]

> And that's without even considering the possibilities raised by
cloning.
> Therefore, given enough time, a human will arise who will take
advantage
> of these opportunities, and that human will dominate the world.

Well, it won't be just *one* such person who will dominate the world.
Gradually, those who have more children (viable offspring) will come
to be highly represented, and those who don't will gradually go
extinct in the sense that there will be fewer and fewer people like
them.

>  Do you think this is going to happen soon?

Oh, a singularity or a Moslem dictatorship or Fall of Civilzation or
a thousand other things could occur first. Two of the most interesting
things that will occur first are Age Reversal and Genetic Engineering.

Still, right now the environment favors---in strictly population
biologic
terms---those who have as many children as they can and who allow
the state to raise them (e.g., they pay exactly zero for medical care,
relying only on ER services).  That's the path of the immediate future.

Ahah!  And the movie link below ties in beautifully with that thought...  Enjoy!

  http://youtube.com/watch?v=fAYnc_-ddlw

  John : )