[ExI] Other thoughts on transhumanism and religion

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu May 31 14:42:34 UTC 2007

I remember in 1988 or so when I first read Engines of Creation.  I read
it with tears streaming down my face.  Though I was an avowed atheist
and at that time had no spiritual practice at all, I found it profoundly
spiritually moving...

- samantha

Thanks Samantha, I read that one about that same time, and it similarly blew
my mind.  I and friends had talked around the edges of nanotech, building up
from atoms instead of down from  castings, wondering how small computer
elements could eventually get, etc.  But seeing that someone was working
these problems directly and in detail had a huge impact on me.

In the late 80s and early 90s, the K. Eric used to give talks to the local
electronics and technology groups, so I attended several of these.  Then he
gave that up, and we haven't heard much from him since about the time
Freitas' Nanomedicine was published.  Where is Robert Freitas hanging out
these days?  Anyone here buddies with him?