[ExI] france again

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu May 31 16:03:53 UTC 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 10:20 PM, spike wrote:
> Are there Europeans here who can comment?  If this is true, not a
> gross
> exaggeration, I am so amazed.  35 hour work week?  How do they get
> anything
> done in that much time?

Total productivity is only loosely related to the number of hours
worked and productivity declines after a certain number of hours
worked (especially mental stuff), so it sort of comes out in the
wash.  Maximization of productivity in the working hours should allow
one to be competitive on a moderate work schedule.

That said, having a fair amount of experience with multinationals,
American divisions seem to routinely out-perform and out-produce
their European equivalents, whether we are talking sales or
engineering.  It is a combination of limited hours (no busting ass to
hit deadlines), large quantities of time off (lots of things get
bottlenecked waiting for people to return), and some miscellaneous
cultural artifacts that seem to noticeably slow things down.

Americans could be hyper-competitive working shorter hours if they
wanted to.  Working long hours on a typical basis doesn't add much to
the bottom line, but having the flexibility to work long hours when
it is useful does.   Something similar goes for vacation time.   The
real problem, which neither the Americans nor Europeans really have
right, is that work often needs to be scheduled but for many jobs the
working hours do not as long as scheduled work happens.  In this day
and age, hours worked is a poor proxy for measuring output for many
jobs.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers