[ExI] abandon all buses

Spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 3 15:57:41 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
> > A far more environmentally agreeable solution has been staring at us for
> > some time, one I have suggested repeatedly: skip the buses, use the
> money to
> > build bicycle-only roads.  I and a lot of others will ride bikes if we
> can
> > do so safely.  I have a nice recumbent that is a great street bike, but
> it
> > sits too low to be safe in traffic.
>
> Bike lanes don't work in the U.S. for the same reason public
> transportation
> doesn't work there. Most motorists won't expect you to be there, with the
> predictable result on your life span.
>
> Much better idea is to move away from such places.
>
> --

Ja that is exactly my point.  I didn't mean bicycle lanes, those have been
tried and they are a failure, for people drive in them with their detroits
and slay bicycilists.  Oddly enough, under many circumstances it is legal to
drive in the bike lanes, and it is certainly hazardous to cyclists.

What I meant was building special bicycle and pedestrian roads, ones that
are separated by a hard barrier from all motorized traffic.  We have exactly
one of those going in now, along the 237 corridor that leads from San Jose
to the Yahoo headquarters next to Lockheed Sunnyvale.  I recognize it is
costly to route those things, but people will use them for low-profile
bikes, which really can only be used if there are specialized bike roads.
The recumbents will encourage those who cannot or will not ride standard
configured bicycles because the standard seat is too hard on the ass.