[ExI] abandon all buses

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 3 17:48:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 01:05:39PM -0400, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> I wish the government would incentivize business to allow this where
> possible.  My personal preference to do so carries so little weight
> that my employer has no reason to comply, but a monetary incentive
> (tax break/etc) would induce far greater motivation.

If it was just for financial incentives, it would be so easy.
But most modern workplace is the rock of Gibraltar, with alpha
primates needing close control of the hierarchy, while simultaneously
maintaining an easy dinner distance for business deals.

Also, the technology is not nearly there. We'd need realtime
motion capturing, including the most subtle mimic, and complete
audio. This sounds like an overkill, but monkeys are funky that way.

Most business structures can't handle self-organizing, self-motivated
agents (which are really rare, too). To show up on time,
and separating the work and playspace is a useful threshold
for many people

> Of course I would have to be willing to spend the money I save
> elsewhere in the economy else the government risks destabilizing the
> status quo - which is highly dependent on energy from dead dinos.

One of the most damning part of governments is that they waste
most of what they take from us forcibly.