[ExI] My confusion, the Kurzweil critique

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Nov 6 16:13:47 UTC 2007

At 06:15 AM 11/6/2007, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 06 November 2007 03:48, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
> > - What makes persons happy is good, what makes persons unhappy is no
> > good.
>
>What does transhumanism have to do with happiness/unhappiness, good/bad?
>Maybe as another philosophical layer to take up, yes, but at the core?

I don't know, but in intellectual (including the creative process)
activity, human beings most nearly approach a state of
happiness.   So, since transhumanism was developed out of
intelligent/critical thinking, you could approximate ...

as an add on:

"The ancient Greeks had a very different perspective on happiness.
Aristotle spoke about achieving eudaimonia, which is roughly
translated into happiness.

"Eudaimonia is not an emotional state; it is more about being all
that you can, fulfilling your potential. The idea is that by living
in a way that reaches your full potential you bloom or flourish and
so display the best version of you that you can be.

"Aristotle thought that the practice of virtues would equate to
happiness, in the sense of being all you could be. By virtues,
Aristotle meant the act of achieving balance and moderation.

"He strongly disagreed with Socrates who knowledge would
automatically lead to the right action. Aristotle argued that the
greatest misdeed was to know the right course, but fail to do it. "  (anon)