[ExI] The Golden Compass

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Nov 7 06:14:18 UTC 2007

Next month the movie "The Golden Compass" opens, it will be one of the
most expensive movies ever made and is based on Philip Pullman's
excellent book. The Catholic League and other religious groups are all
upset and calling for a boycott. It's not hard to figure out what they are
so worried about, I have never in my life read a book more hostile to
religion. It's supposed to be a novel for children but there are damn few
adult novelists that would dare make God senile and the chief villain
of the book. It's said the movie cut way back on the anti religious
elements, but even so it should be interesting. Pullman is an militant
atheist and is quoted as saying "my books are about killing God"; and
remember, this is supposed to be a children's writer! How he managed
to get away with this I don't know but Mr. Pullman sir I salute you.

  John K Clark