[ExI] The Golden Compass

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Wed Nov 7 11:41:04 UTC 2007

> Next month the movie "The Golden Compass" opens, it will be one of the
> most expensive movies ever made and is based on Philip Pullman's
> excellent book. The Catholic League and other religious groups are all
> upset and calling for a boycott. It's not hard to figure out what they are
> so worried about, I have never in my life read a book more hostile to
> religion. It's supposed to be a novel for children but there are damn few
> adult novelists that would dare make God senile and the chief villain
> of the book. It's said the movie cut way back on the anti religious
> elements, but even so it should be interesting. Pullman is an militant
> atheist and is quoted as saying "my books are about killing God"; and
> remember, this is supposed to be a children's writer! How he managed
> to get away with this I don't know but Mr. Pullman sir I salute you.

I am currently reading this book and find it a delightful young people's fantasy/SF
adventure story.  I've not finished yet, so haven't found the part about God being
senile and all.

It's funny how our current churches are against this movie, when parts of the book
remind me of the rage the protestants felt for the RC church some centuries back.
There was plenty of "anti established church" attitude then, and *that* is what I
see in this book so far. There is a division, a battle, between one group of people
and "the church". At this point, I haven't seen much that's purely "anti religion".

Hope to get volume 2 from the library today, or at least this week - these books are
popular and hard to come by, they're always checked out. The one I'm reading had to
be sent in from another library!

Regards,
MB