[ExI] My confusion, the Kurzweil critique

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:22:30 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 November 2007 16:59, ben wrote:
> Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> said:
>  > To transcend the bio would be to also transcend emotion.
>
> I don't understand this.
>
> Can you explain why emotion might be exclusive to biological minds?

The idea is to become somebody other or else than who and what we are.

> I'd be prepared to bet that you can't.

This may involve leaving behind some aspects of ourselves, maybe not
forever.

> Is this a manifestation of the "soulless machines" meme?

No. And I know what you mean- but if what if somebody wanted to become a
soulless machine? Isn't that their choice?

> When/if i become post-biological, i plan to have mucho mas soul,
> emotion, whatever you want to call it, than any biologically-based
> mind.

OK (and I'd like to try that as well). But realize that my original
segment you're talking about was written in response to try to ..
single out the "social transhumanism" signal. This might be the
same "collective self-determination" that Stefano Vaj mentioned in an
email today.

- Bryan