[ExI] One star, five planets

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Nov 9 19:59:57 UTC 2007

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1687

Distant sun has system of five planets

Wednesday, 7 November 2007
Cosmos Online

SYDNEY: Astronomers have detected a fifth
extrasolar planet circling 55 Cancri, a star 41
light years away. This is the greatest number of
confirmed planets yet found orbiting another star.

"This discovery of the first ever quintuple
planetary system has me jumping out of my socks,"
said Geoff Marcy an astronomer at the University
of California, Berkeley in the USA. "The
significance is marvellous. We now know that our
Sun and its family of planets is not unusual."

Liquid water?

55 Cancri is located 41 light-years away in the
constellation Cancer and has nearly the same mass
and age as our Sun (it is easily visible with
binoculars from Earth). The researchers
discovered the fifth planet using the Doppler
technique, in which a planet's gravitational tug
is detected by the wobble it produces in the parent star.

It weighs about 45 times the mass of Earth and
may be similar to Saturn in its composition and
appearance. It is the fourth planet out from 55
Cancri and completes one orbit every 260 days.

The researchers have also discovered that the
planet's location places it in the habitable
zone: a band around the star where the
temperature permits liquid water to exist – and
therefore renders the discovery of life more
likely. Though its orbit is slightly closer than
Earth's is to our Sun, its star is slightly fainter.

"The gas-giant planets in our Solar System all
have large moons," said Debra Fischer, an
astronomer at San Francisco State University in
California and lead author of a paper on the find
upcoming in the Astrophysical Journal. "If there
is a moon orbiting this new, massive planet, it
might have pools of liquid water on a rocky surface," she said.

Fischer and Marcy are part of a team that
discovered this planet after careful observation
of 2,000 nearby stars with a telescope at
California's Lick Observatory and the Keck
Observatory on Mauna Kea, Hawaii. More than 320
velocity measurements were required to
disentangle signals from each of the planets.

Family of planets

The planets around 55 Cancri are somewhat
different from those orbiting our Sun. The
innermost planet is believed to be about the size
of Neptune and whips around the star in less than
three days at a distance from the star of
approximately 3.5 million miles. The second
planet is a little smaller than Jupiter and
completes one orbit every 14.7 days, at a
distance from the star of approximately 11.2
million miles. The third planet, similar in mass
to Saturn, completes one orbit every 44 days at a
distance from the star of approximately 22.3 million miles.

The fifth and most distant known planet is four
times the mass of Jupiter and completes one orbit
every 14 years at a distance from the star of
approximately 539.1 million miles. It is still
the only known Jupiter-like gas giant to reside
as far away from its star as our own Jupiter.

"Discovering these five planets took us 18 years
of continuous observations at Lick Observatory,
starting before any extrasolar planets were known
anywhere in the universe," said Marcy. "But
finding five extrasolar planets orbiting a star
is only one small step. Earth-like planets are the next destination."

"This work marks an exciting next step in the
search for worlds like our own," commented
Michael Briley, an astronomer at the U.S.
National Science Foundation. "To go from the
first detections of planets around sun-like stars
to finding a full-fledged solar system
 in just
12 years, is an amazing accomplishment and a
testament to the years of hard work put in by these investigators."