[ExI] zmm: quest for the holy honda

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 22:26:59 UTC 2007

At 01:12 PM 11/12/2007 -0800, Jef wrote:

>Some quotes supporting the point that Pirsig was arguing against
>Plato<snip>

Hmm. It was a long time ago; I should have kept
my mouth shut. (My copy of the book is a long way
off...) At any rate, I was unimpressed; this was
very much not the case with Hofstadter, a while later.

I see on wikipedia the claim that: "By virtue of
being a precocious child with an IQ of 170..."
which would make Pirsig shine even in this
company. (Not to mention, perhaps: "An emotional
and mental breakdown led him to spend part of the
period 1960 – 63 in and out of mental institutions...")

>Also I'm curious Damien, as it may be related, whether when you read
>the book you got the impression that it was about Zen throughout?

At this point, deponent sayeth not. (Not to be
confused with "deponent sayeth `not'.") :)

Damien Broderick