[ExI] Novel technique for cheap and abundant hydrogen

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 13 09:52:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 10:40:49PM -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:

> CHICAGO: A new method of producing hydrogen gas
> from biodegradable organic material has been

That doesn't inspire confidence.

> developed, potentially providing an abundant source of clean-burning fuel.

What's wrong with making hydrogen from methane,
and once PV is cheap enough, water electrolysis?

> The technology offers a way to cheaply and
> efficiently generate hydrogen from readily
> available and renewable biomass such as cellulose

If you have cellulose, I would rather make hexane
from that.

> or glucose, and could be used for powering
> vehicles, making fertiliser and treating drinking water.

What's wrong with electricity?

> Public transport systems
>
> Numerous public transportation systems are moving
> toward hydrogen-powered engines as an alternative

Uh, that's bullshit.

> to gasoline, but most hydrogen today is generated
> from non-renewable fossil fuels such as natural gas.

There's an awful lot of methane around, and hydrogen
fuel cells are considerably more efficient than ICEs.

> The new method developed by engineers at
> Pennsylvania State University in University Park,
> U.S., combines electron-generating bacteria and a

More bullshit. You'll burn most of your energy for
bacteria metabolism.

> small electrical charge in a microbial fuel cell to produce hydrogen gas.

Can about stop reading at that point.

> Microbial fuel cells work through the action of
> bacteria, which can pass electrons to an anode.
> The electrons flow from the anode through a wire
> to the cathode producing an electric current. In
> the process, the bacteria consume organic matter
> in the biomass material. An external jolt of
> electricity helps generate hydrogen gas at the cathode.
>
> In the past, the process, which is known as
> electrohydrogenesis, has had poor efficiency
> rates and low hydrogen yields. But environmental
> engineers Shaoan Cheng and Bruce Logan were able
> to get around these problems by chemically modifying elements of the reactor.
>
> Economically viable now
>
> Their study appears in the U.S. Proceedings of
> the National Academy of Sciences.
>
> In laboratory experiments, their reactor
> generated hydrogen gas at nearly 99 per cent of
> the theoretical maximum yield using aetic acid, a
> common dead-end product of glucose fermentation.

You can also make hydrogen from worthless greenbacks.
It's only slightly more expensive that oxidizing your
fuel into low-energy acetic acid, which is even more
energy-intensive to destill than bioethanol.

> "This process produces 288 per cent more energy
> in hydrogen than the electrical energy that is
> added in the process," said Logan.

Ahahahahaha. Mighty 288%, using such low-quality input
as electricity. Ohmigosh.

> The technology is economically viable now, which
> gives hydrogen an edge over another alternative
> biofuel, which is grabbing more headlines. "The
> energy focus is currently on ethanol as a fuel,

Of course bioethanol is only in the public debate
due to crooks (agrolobby) and ignorants.

> but economical ethanol from cellulose is 10 years
> down the road," said Logan. "First you need to
> break cellulose down to sugars and then bacteria can convert them to ethanol."

Yeahyeahyeah. Where I have I heard that before.

> One of the immediate applications for this
> technology is to supply the fuel for electric
> fuel cell vehicles – but it could also be used to
> convert wood chips into hydrogen to create fertiliser, said the researchers.

And a mighty strong fertilizer it is.