[ExI] robert pirsig's bike in zen and mm

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Wed Nov 14 01:27:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:27 PM, spike wrote:
> ps Whaddya mean OLD man?  It's spike, middle-aged man, please.

What, are you planning to die before you reach 100?  Otherwise, you're not
middle-aged yet!

Here my theory on "adult" age:

My formative years as a child lasted two decades.  I had a long, happy
childhood, learned a lot of stuff, and did a lot of things.  But I never
really got serious with a job, sex, interests, my own house, writing a book,
developing my interests, or making my own way in the world until I became an
adult.

Therefore, my first 20 years of life were merely practice years learning to
live.
My second 20 years comprised my first crack at adult life.
At age 40, I was finally an accomplished adult and starting to feel
middle-aged.

However, I realize that everything I did in my adult life was done in a mere
20 years.
>From age 40-60, I am enjoying the opportunity of a second adult life-span.
I have time to duplicate everything I have accomplished as an adult all over
again.  Or I can do something completely different with that time.  It is
like I get to relive my whole adult life starting again, except a little
further in the future, and with a lot more life experience behind me.

At ages 60-80, I plan to enjoy a third adult life-span.  After two attempts
at adulthood, I should really know what I am doing.  I should be more
financially secure.  I wonder what I will do with this future adult
lifespan.  Whenever I wonder if I have wasted my life being inefficient thus
far, I realize that I have another whole adult life waiting.

At ages 80-100, I hope to enjoy yet a fourth adult life-span.

With life-extension, I hope to live to beyond 100, into my fifth adult
life-span.

So, I don't feel middle-aged at age 45.  I have finished my first adult
life-span and am now working on my second one, trying to make it better this
time.

--
Harvey Newstrom
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP