[ExI] Paper and patent citations

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Nov 15 15:01:44 UTC 2007

In thinking, ruefully, about the inconsequence of one of my best
inventions, it just dawned on me that it may have been much more
significant than I'd realized.

One of the central concepts in the patent was that when trying to
communicate information in a pathname across different programs,
operating systems, and/or protocols, the only safe place to embed
information is in an interior directory name. When that magic point
is reached, its value is used as a database key, and alters the
interpretation of the rest of the path, if any.

That is, /usr/home/lubkin/projects/editor/v12345/parse.cc

This is identical to the design used, for much the same reasons,
throughout the web, to make a database lookup look like an ordinary
path and filename, viz.,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/123456789/ref=fdglkjsdfg/foo=sdfgdf

or

http://myblog.blogboy.xyz/blog/2007/11/2345.html

It's hard to believe that this was original to me, but equally hard
to believe that none of the technical reviewers -- including the very
smartest people at Apollo Computer -- gave any hint that it wasn't original.

Do you know of any prior art? My invention was 1988.

-- David.