[ExI] What a long strange trip its been

scerir at tiscali.it scerir at tiscali.it
Sun Nov 18 09:48:18 UTC 2007

 http://www.inaf.it/struttura-organizzativa/direzione-
amministrativa/ufficio-3-gestione-del-personale/decreti-e-determine-
dell-ufficio-del-personale/2007/decreto-ammissione-stabilizzazione.doc

The link above (Decreto 73/07) is a specific selection of 'precarious'
workers (administratives,
researchers, etc.) that can be 'stabilizzati', that are going to be
'stabilizzati' only after a specific
selection, that cannot be 'stabilizzati'. It's all done with smoke and
mirrors.

s.

What I remember most, however, is not Weisskopf's comment, but a story
told by Stephan Berko, my freshman physics professor in 1966-67, who
was also in the audience at that talk. After listening to the rather
inconclusive discussion among Mermin, Weisskopf, and others, Berko
recalled something that Bohr said to him- in fact, the only thing Bohr
ever said to him directly. Berko had been visiting the Institute for
Theoretical Physics in Copenhagen in 1958 and attended a holiday party,
which featured a magic show. After watching some particularly baffling
magic tricks, Bohr turned to him and said, "It's all done with smoke
and mirrors!"
-Michael Gerver