[ExI] [Evol, Soc] Survival of the Selfless

Stefan Pernar stefan.pernar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 22:07:19 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 5:21 AM, <x at extropica.org> wrote:

> "The consensus that formed in the 1960s turned group selection into a
> pariah concept, taught primarily as an example of how not to think.
> Interpreting behaviours as "for the good of the group" was said to be
> just plain wrong. Inclusive fitness theory (also called kin
> selection), evolutionary game theory and selfish gene theory were all
> developed to explain the evolution of apparently were all developed to
> explain the evolution of apparently altruistic behaviours in
> individualistic terms, without invoking group selection."
>
> <
> http://evolution.binghamton.edu/dswilson/resources/publications_resources/New%20Scientist.pdf

The matter of group selection on the genetic level is very controversial. On
the cognitive level of memes however it is very different.

On page 85 of Jame5 point out for example that:

"Culture is the byproduct of an animal's acceptance of a shared
moral-ethical meme complex to enable social collaboration in large groups."

Later in the book I broaden the concept of a 'moral-ethical meme complex' to
include all kinds of beliefs and assert that said shared beliefs are fitness
indicators relevant for inter group competition. As a consequence groups
with fitter belief systems prosper while groups with unfit belief systems
either adapt or perish. For a quick introduction to my thoughts on this
issue I suggest reading my paper on friendly AI
theory<http://www.jame5.com/?p=8>or Jame5 pages 69 and following.

With the advent of human thought the focus of evolution shifted away from a
genetic level and moved to an evolution of ideas and concepts about the
world that gave rise to new ideas etc. The genes, dominant fitness
determining information-carrying vehicles up to that point became secondary.

The decisive difference between the Homo Sapiens and other primates was the
particularly useful ability to transfer these memes to other members of the
group, including their young, by effective communication in the form of
speech.

>From that time forward, evolution on the genetic level slowly began to
retreat and eventually became secondary as fitness indicators in humans as
memes started to have an ever larger impact in determining an individual's
fitness in the group as well as on an inter group level. The evolution of
memes went on though the Stone Age and various metal ages on a material
level until it shifted toward harnessing more energy with the first steam
engine in the late eighteenth century. What followed was the Industrial
Revolution. Then came the first computers that eventually triggered the
Information Age.

In summary: Human groups act as super organisms on the basis of shared
beliefs with evolution continuing on the level of beliefs (memes).

Example: Captitalism vs Communism
The cold war was a period of conflict between two groups with largely
different belief systems. In the blue corner mostly capitalist democracies
and in the red corner mostly communist dictatorships. Capitalism eventually
'won' as its belief system happened to allocate resources with alternative
uses more efficiently and effectively. By now the former eastern block
largely abandoned the less fit ideology and is moving on.

Example: Market Economy
In market economies companies can be seen as groups competing for the scarce
resource money. A company's culture, policies, processes, intellectual
property are its beliefs and its staff form that companies embodiment as a
group. Companies compete in the market place, act, adapt, learn and form
alliances. Those with fitter belief systems survive and flourish while those
that are less fit go bankrupt and 'die'.

And so evolution continues.
More also at http://www.psych.ubc.ca/~henrich/home.html

Kind regards,

Stefan