[ExI] Computer Backups

Khaled Aly ka.aly at luxsci.net
Fri Nov 30 20:45:17 UTC 2007

And you can always encrypt your backed-up volume to ensure its security.
You can also use an external storage device to do incremental,
differential, or complete backups of both your system and your data
(separation is recommended as it is easier to recover your system and
you wouldn't want to loose both of them simultaneously upon a disk
crash, I use two separate disks in my PC). Local storage cost is
competitive to that of online. You can backup with a push-of-a-button,
which I don't like since it might depend on unknown software behind the
button (I mean it could fail to restore when you most and only need
that); or using a recognizable desktop software like "Acronis" (but then
you store one or more 'coded' archive files, and you're only sure upon
your first restoration), or just simply doing a delete-copy-paste-etc.
(most aggravating and disk consuming but also assuring as you get to see
your files). You can also backup using a mass storage email service like
gmail. Just protect your private data 'best' with PGP before submitting
it to third parties.

Regards
Khaled

Just for extropian thought, re trusted third parties: "If it is third,
how could it be trusted!" :)
Noting that, I did work for a trusted third party, and every network
service provider is, where we took all stringent measures to protect out
customers' privacy and security. Actually even security services may be
outsourced. The decision is up to the user.