[ExI] What is meant here by "fascism"?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sat Oct 6 21:24:44 UTC 2007

Several people, notably Natasha and PJ Manney, are using
the term in a way that I don't understand.  The latter, in fact,
wrote on September 27

    "But remember this: even fascists believe they're doing the right
    thing.  They balance what they and the country gain by their actions
    against what they and the country might lose if they refrained.
    Hence, their behavior."

I would like to know who or what is being described. Yes I do
understand that the main target of these remarks, perhaps quite
justifiably but perhaps not, is the Bush administration. But what
exactly is the meaning of "fascism" here?

(No doubt the above was not meant to be defining. If "fascist"
were to mean that the *only* considerations the leaders of a
country make are whether or not actions benefit/harm their
nation, then no country in modern history is fascist, because
there are *always* other considerations, e.g., pilfering. But
I do understand that the above may be a step towards such
a definition.)

The answers to even a few of the following "yes and no" type
questions will help a lot.

1. Is Russia at the present time a fascist country?

2. Are there countries of Western Europe that are fascist
    at the present time?

3. Is Mexico or Cuba fascist at the present time?  I ask because
    both the Federalis and Castro's henchmen appear to violate
    people's liberties almost at will.

4. If two countries have identical profiles of freedom and economic
    structure, but one is an ally of the United States and one is an
    enemy, is the former thereby more fascist?

5. Can a country be a little bit fascist?  That is, if there has been
    a single incident of government action that has resulted in a
    clearly unjustifiable loss of liberty (e.g. Norway), is the country
    thereby fascist?  Or is it a matter of degree?

6. Do the civil liberties of a substantial number of people actually
    have to be infringed, or is it enough that the laws (or known
    potential) provide the possibility for such?

7. During what decade did the United States become fascist? Was
    the U.S. fascist during the McCarthy years?  What about during
    the sixties when the FBI spyed on prominent members of the
    Civil Rights movement?

8. What other terms of approbation are used which are not employed
    by anyone to self-describe them?  That is, I consider it a great blow
    against any political term if no one can be found who embraces that
    term. If everyone says, "I'm not a fascist", then the meaning of the
    term is made much, much more difficult. Why use a term that no
    one employs self-descriptively?

Thanks,
Lee