[ExI] pentagon wants orbiting solar power stations

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Oct 13 14:48:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 10:05:14AM -0400, Gary Miller wrote:

> Traditional solar energy and solar efficient home designs may be practical
> for those living in the sunbelt or the desert but for those of us with snow

Look at the links I sent. Germany and Switzerland can hardly be called
the sunbelt.

> and grey sky much of the year we're still going to have to depend on other

Diffuse light is still light. Good insulation is equally important both
for hot and cold climates. In coastal regions/north there's typically
plenty of wind, which is also just the big fusion plant in the sky,
repackaged. So is hydro, and so is fossil (at a lousy efficiency),
and so is biomass. Even fissible elements have been produced in
stellar explosions.

> sources of power.

There are not many people living around the arctic circle.
There's plenty of daylight during the summer there, and you have to
do something about the winter, agreed.

I'm not dissing solar satellites. Far from it. But that's not how
you get away from burning dead dinos. Small and cheap and DIY is
the ticket.