[ExI] How to get a healthy country

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 05:35:21 UTC 2007

On 17/10/2007, Anna Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> --- "J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com>
> wrote:
>
> >By the standards of most western countries, the
> >treatment turnaround in the US after a problem is
> >reported is extremely short,which undoubtedly also
> >helps.  I was reading something the other day that
> >stated the US has five times as many MRI machines
> >per capita as Canada (and not surprisingly shorter
> >waits for such machines), and at least in US
> >medicine MRI machines are considered essential
> >diagnostic  technology that improve treatment
> >performance.
>
> I would assume this is in relevant to the fact that
> Canadians have an unlimited health care system.  As a
> Canadian, i'm proud that every hospital provides some
> kind of emergency assistance.  It can't provide the
> highest level of manufacturing as it's busy trying to
> provide for all.  I would agree that US may have five
> times as many MRI machines per capita as Canada and
> guaranteed shorter waits for such machines but at
> least they are available to all individuals.

The fact that there are five times as many MRI machines in the US as
Canada suggests that there is more profit to be made in MRI's. If it
actually turned out that diverting funds from other areas to MRI
machines improved health outcomes then why wouldn't bureaucrats in
Canada or anywhere else do this?

--
Stathis Papaioannou