[ExI] Everything is Miscellaneous

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Mon Oct 22 18:31:03 UTC 2007

Recommended, especially for those who sometimes feel irritated by my
scare-quoting of "truth" and "reality" while I promote truth and
reality.

I think Ted Nelson said it well, that "everything is intertwingled."

- Jef

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4CV05HyAbMI>

<http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/22/information-revoluti.html>

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0805080430/>

"David Weinberger's "Everything is Miscellaneous" is the kind of book
that binds together innumerable miscellaneous threads and makes
something new, coherent, and incontrovertible out of them.
Weinberger's thesis is this: historically, we've divided the world
into categories, topics, and hierarchies because physical objects need
to be in one place or another, they can't be in all the places they
might belong. Computers and the Internet turn this on its head:
because a computer can "put things" in as many categories as they need
to be in, because individuals can classify knowledge, tasks, and
objects idiosyncratically, the hierarchy is revealed for what it
always was, a convenient expedient masquerading as the True Shape of
the Universe."