[ExI] The Story of a Box

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 09:06:09 UTC 2007

On 10/28/07, David C. Harris wrote:
> Amara,
> You are FUN to read!  I kept expecting a sign over an office door saying
> "Lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate".    ;-)

<http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/abandon-hope-all-ye-who-enter-here.html>

Abandon hope all ye who enter here

Meaning:   The supposed inscription at the entrance to Hell.

Origin
>From Dante's Divine Comedy. The translation into English by H.F.Cary
is the origin for this English phrase, although he gave it as the less
commonly used 'All hope abandon ye who enter here'.

    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

    Justice the founder of my fabric mov'd:
    To rear me was the task of power divine,
    Supremest wisdom, and primeval love.

    Before me things create were none, save things
    Eternal, and eternal I endure.
    All hope abandon ye who enter here.