[ExI] Chips The Size Of[interplanetary] Dust [and matrioshkabrains]

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 3 03:56:24 UTC 2007

Russell, this turns into an interesting question of autonomous manufacturing
optimization and launching of nodes, as well as optimization of the use of
energy from sunlight.  Going with smaller and more numerous nodes has an
advantage that is related to an engineering textbook problem from a signals
and systems class I took way too many years ago.

Imagine you have a signal you wish to transmit distance x.  You can do it
with one transmitter and one receiver, but you could put another receiver at
x/2, amplify the signal and retransmit another x/2 to distance x.  This way
you actually have two transmitters, but each one requires only one fourth as
much power as in the first case, so together they only require half as much
power.  Now imagine three receivers and transmitters, each transmitting a
distance x/3.  Each requires one ninth as much power, so together they
require a third as much power as in the first case.  And so on.  Cool, huh?
Perhaps you worked the same problem.

As for station keeping, as the node size scales downward, gravity becomes
less the driver and electrostatic forces ever more important.

My intuition tells me that building an M-brain is optimized by making the
individual nodes as small as our technology permits.

spike