[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 7 03:16:58 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
>
> I thought about your weak bees this summer as several yellow jackets
> chased me from my yard when I was mowing the lawn.  Nasty little
> buggers.  I know these are wasps and not really bees, but I have to
> admit I had much less sympathy for bees while their angrier wasp
> cousins were repeatedly stinging me...Mike

Mike, the wasp cousins are not the bees but rather the ants.  The ants are
much more closely related to the wasps than the bees are to either.  Do feel
free to feel antipathy towards ants and wasps.  Aggressive sons a bitches
are these.

We might be able to arrange other pollinators besides bees, but we would be
hard pressed indeed to get another beast that is as little bother to humans
as the bees.  Flies can be coaxed to cross pollinate flowers to a limited
extent, but we don't want flocks of flies, ja?  Bees are not aggressive,
they don't get in your food, they don't spread disease, they are good
neighbors.