[ExI] singularity summit on foxnews

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 14:53:44 UTC 2007

Yes, Eliezer, congratulations.
This is indeed exciting to see this kind of coverage.

As a lessor issue, it is still of my opinion that you are making a big
mistake with what I believe to be mistaken and irrational fear mongering
about "unfriendly AI" that is hurting the Transhumanist, and the strong
AI movement.  Especially in popular media like this.  And apparently,
I'm not alone in my POV.  So far, 100% of the people that have weighed
in on this issue here at the Canonizer:

http://karolisr.canonizer.com/topic.asp?topic_num=16

also believe such fear mongering is not good, though for different reasons.

We discussed this earlier on this list.  I seem to remember there were
several other points of view expressed than currently exists in the
Canonizer, but I can't remember what they were, or the reasons for such
beliefs?  Wouldn't et be great if we could get a comprehensive and
concise survey of just what everyone believes on this issue and why?

Eliezer, I don't think I have ever seen a concise statement of why you
have such fears and make such a big deal about them.

Could I be correct in arguing that you fear mongers are in the minority,
even amongst transhumanists, and others that believe there will soon be
very smart AI?  It would sure be nice to know, quantitatively, just how
much of a minority this was so we could also point out things like this
to Fox News when they start going on about things like a "nerdocalypse"?

Brent Allsop