[ExI] singularity summit on foxnews

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 05:46:45 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
> Subject: Re: [ExI] singularity summit on foxnews
>
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:05:50PM -0700, spike wrote:
>
> > I venture to guess that more people learned of the singularity yesterday
> > from FoxNews than the total number of people who had heard of it before
> > yesterday.  Ja?
>
> Given the average profile of a Faux News viewer, I don't know whether
> that's a boon or a bane.
>
> Apropos Faux: I can no longer even listen to the official local radio,
> without noticing how ridiculously biased they are. (The private sector
> is even worse: they only do insipid entertainment).
>
> --

Ja I agree the state of mainstream media is deplorable.  It has devolved
into tabloid journalism.  FauxNews does a good job on science and technology
for the masses, but the rest of it is the crime stories and the latest
starlet gone bad.  Faux is better than CNN or MSNBC at least, which isn't
saying much.  CBS has approximately zero credibility since the Dan Rather
debacle.  SlashDot is excellent, but isn't really mainstream.  I noticed
that Faux was the only big media to carry the singularity summit as a
headline.