[ExI] People of Faith, not

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 17:26:49 UTC 2007

> > Subject: [ExI] People of Faith, not
> >
> > I was musing here a while back about the need for a good term to
> > place in contrast with the sanctimonious "People of Faith"--...
> > Damien Broderick

We also need good terms for the opposites of the sanctimonious behavior of
the people of faith.  Like the student activist who scolded the media in a
self-righteous.  So the opposite could be either self-sinner, or
someone-else-righteous.  The former works better for me, since the
someone-else probably isn't righteous either.

Furthermore, if one is a self-sinner, then one keeps one's options open.  If
one is self-righteous, one must actually be righteous, otherwise one is a
hypocrite.  But if one is a self-sinner, one has the option of being either
an actual sinner, or being righteous.  If a self-sinner is righteous, no one
knows or cares.