[ExI] In Europe and U.S., Nonbelievers Are Increasingly Vocal

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 19:45:41 UTC 2007

On 9/18/07, nvitamore at austin.rr.com <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I am forwarding this message from another list I am on:
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/14/AR2007091402
> 501.html?referrer=emailarticle
> In Europe and U.S., Nonbelievers Are Increasingly Vocal
> By Mary Jordan
> Washington Post Foreign Service
> Saturday, September 15, 2007; A01
>
> BURGESS HILL, England -- Every morning on his walk to work, high school
> teacher Graham Wright recited a favorite Anglican prayer and asked God for
> strength in the day ahead. Then two years ago, he just stopped.
>
> Wright, 59, said he was overwhelmed by a feeling that religion had become a
> negative influence in his life and the world. Although he once considered
> becoming an Anglican vicar, he suddenly found that religion represented
> nothing he believed in, from Muslim extremists blowing themselves up in
> God's name to Christians condemning gays, contraception and stem cell
> research.

My concerns are:
- that the rejection of monotheistic religions is often based on
"moral" reasons, which have nothing to do with epistemological issues;
- that such moral reasons substantially reflect "ethical truths",
taken for granted and self-evident, which are nothing else than
secularised judeo-chistianism.

I would rather stay with Nietzsche for the time being, thank you. :-)

Stefano Vaj