[ExI] In Europe and U.S., Nonbelievers Are Increasingly Vocal

Michael M. Butler mmbutler at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:54:04 UTC 2007

On 9/21/07, Michael M. Butler <mmbutler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/21/07, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/20/07, Michael M. Butler <mmbutler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > - Suppose you could push a button and instantaneously cause everyone
> > > on Earth to not be a monotheist.
> >
> > Would you kick the crutches out from under the lame?  If you don't
> > provide something to replace what you are taking away, then it just
> > seems cruel.  Even if it were analogous to methadone to combat a
> > heroine addiction, I thinking curing the steadfast monotheist will
> > require more gradual steps to reason.
> >
> > If 'they' had a button to turn the remaining population to monotheism,
> > would you race to be the first to press the button - or would you
> > ensure that neither side exercises the option?
>
> :) What do you think? :) I don't want to roll those dice either way.
> Just in case that wasn't obvious, that's also my problem with hard
> takeoff self-improving AI... I just don't think I can keep it from
> happening (if it is possible at all).

Sorry, but I forgot to add my loop back to explain my original post in
this thread..

Sometimes "cruel" is _dangerous_.

I am concerned that too much secular push too soon, absent a lot of
good alternative upbringing, would not only be cruel but could be
dangerous.

So, consider the possibility that a sudden shift to godlessness, an
atheism "fad", say, could contribute to a worldwide currency inflation
as people live for today (since there is no afterlife), followed by a
global economic depression, followed by a global war with modern tech,
and consequent gigacide.

No thanks, I think, not even if they all "needed to die" for some
great cause such as "eliminating bias" (1/2 :) , _pace_ Robin H.,
Eliezer et al).

I am afraid that as a wimpy agnostic I am just not as principled as
some Extropes ;>.

--
         Michael M. Butler  :  m m b u t l e r  ( a t )  g m a i l . c o m
         "I'm going to get over this some time. Might as well be now."