[ExI] Russian Governor Sponsors Conception Day

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 22 07:26:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 03:06:51PM -0700, spike wrote:

> China's dramatic improvement in standard of living in the past decade may

In the cities, yes. Also it's not obvious that the coming decade will
show the same growth. US consumption has crashed hard, and there's
a huge bubble in China which waits for the trigger.

> change all that.  China may soon discover they are not overpopulated after
> all.  The two and three child families may come back with a vengeance.

They would have to import a lot of food for that, though. Also,
since we're past or near oil production peak and China (which
is 5 times less energy efficient for the unit of production than
the U.S.) has hardly started growing yet there will be problems.

Two-child family, maybe. Thre-child family, dunno.