[ExI] ovary sliver storage

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 22:36:32 UTC 2007

That's good news. Here are some other links to related developments:

Artificial placenta (Huxley's group)
http://www.aec.at/festival2000/texte/nobuya_unno_e.htm

Artificial wombs (Kuwabara's group)*
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13418180.400-japanese-pioneers-raise-kid-in-rubber-womb-.html
* Kuwabara has since died. I was wondering why I was unable to find any
more recent reports of his research when I was looking for him a few
months ago.

Faking babies: artificial wombs, eggs, and sperm
http://www.mindfully.org/Technology/2005/Faking-Babies-Reproduction19may05.htm

Womb-on-a-chip (Fujii's group)
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg19526146.200&feedId=online-news_rss20
-- with Thornhill's technique we might soon see immature eggs -> embryos
--- and it would all be on silicon

Next step: stem cells -> ovarian tissue -> immature eggs. On a chip. In
a flash of imagination, I can see complex microchips moving across the
surface of a patient and stitching together new tissues straight from
an internal factory [probably while the patient is submerged] for such
problems as tissue damage. And then there are the fun cloning
possibilities (SCNT methods?).

Sometimes I find myself jotting down notes for artificial meat machines
and particle accelerators to wire up so that I can transform hydrogen
into the elements required for biochemical nutrition and to take the
energy directly from the sun to power my meat-bod (if it would still be
meaty, that is). Anyway, one step closer.

BTW, The Bridge Centre puts their faces up on their pages:
http://www.thebridgecentre.co.uk/team1.htm
So maybe I'll go ask for some literature from them. :)

- Bryan