[ExI] Sublime messages and Goose Bumps

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 25 15:13:48 UTC 2007

>I assume you mean 'subliminal', rather >than
'sublime' messages!

I meant the "awe" messages in philosophy.

>As you say, the response is under control of the
>autonomic nervous system, and is often experienced
>without knowing the cause.

Yes that's what I said but that's not what Goggle
says. I was not understanding how the reaction of
fight or flight might be used based on this example.

>You might want to try watching the film a few times
>under different conditions, see if you get any
>consistent effects. If you do, it would probably be
>interesting to see which parts of it give you
>goosebumps. If you can narrow it down to say, one
>scene or bit of dialogue or character, you might be
>able to figure it out.

I repeatedly get goose bumps from watching images or
hearing sounds that cause emotional reactions but I
was curious in the full reaction.
For example:
Image or sound is present therefore leads to emotional
reaction(biological reaction)therefore leads to
physical reaction(goose bumps).
I was just stuck on the biological reaction as well as
if it is a conscious reaction or not.

>If you think it's worth spending the time on!

I find any information that leads me to understand how
my mind and body work is beneficial. Unfortunately I'm
not a biologist or a philosopher so the answers to
some of my curious questions aren't always easy to
find especially since I have a hard time with my
written English (as I am French), my questions are at
times hard to follow.

Anyhow, I really appreciated your reply as well as the
reply from others. MB, I will read "Why Zebras Don't
Get Ulcers" by Robert M. Sapolsky, thanks.

Anna