[ExI] Mindless America, in 10 Easy Steps

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 23:07:14 UTC 2007

At 03:00 PM 9/29/2007 -0700, Olga wrote:

>Or, as Dan Quayle would have put it - and who, as it turned out, made an
>unwitting prediction with his all-time classic Quayleism: "What a terrible
>thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that
>is."

Drat, I'd always heard it as "A mind is a terrible thing to lose."

There is a TV ep with that title:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0538340/

But evidently Quayle did say:

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean
in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't
live in this century."

Perhaps he was thinking of the Holocene.

He also said rather poignantly:

"The other day the President said, I know you've had some rough
times, and I want to do something that will show the nation what
faith that I have in you, in your maturity and sense of
responsibility. He paused, then said, would you like a puppy?"

Damien Broderick