[ExI] Global Warming Skeptics as Interview Subjects?

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 30 22:28:58 UTC 2007

James writes

> you're not suggesting that there are no financial incentives for
> those who write research papers against Global Warming, are you?  See
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/28/science/28climate.html?ex=1311739200&en=00d5453101bbc950&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Thanks.  Indeed I was not aware that any outside agencies were paying
any scientists who did not support the view that global warming was
being oversold. But you should wince a little at the tone of that article,
which begins

Utilities Pay Scientist Ally on Warming

> BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
> Published: July 28, 2006
> WASHINGTON, July 27 - Coal-burning utilities are contributing money to
> one of the few remaining climate scientists openly critical of the broad
> consensus that fossil fuel emissions are intensifying global warming.

The bias of this lead sentence is large and obvious. The writer is apparently
someone who would find it somewhat painful to complete any full
sentence without pushing the point of view he personally believes in.
Everything from "few remaining..." to "broad consensus".  Now
explain *why* a journalist, indeed writing for the Associated Press,
would have such an agenda?    Of course, we do or should be able
to individually acknowledge the general overt bias of western media in
politically related questions, of which this is a sample.

> There are tremendous amounts of money to be made and lost by corporations as
> a result of environmental decisions by governments, which under our current
> structure leads to tremendous pressure by some to retain the status quo, and
> by others to push for changes and punish their competition.

Yes (and thank you for admitting that last phrase; we must strive for
objectivity).  But you haven't said whether you agree with the point
that the traditional left seems to have a horse in this race that's not
simply scientific.

The bigger question I'm addressing is the bias itself, from both sides,
and why we think what we think. On a number of occasions, I have
to brag, a desire to explain *this* phenomenon in unbiased terms
has always seemed to be coming much more from my side of the
political spectrum.

No one has yet addressed either way my contention that the social
idealism (quite apart from literally saving the Earth) of many on the
left---idealism that manifests itself in wanting bigger government
and greater regulation---is behind a great deal of the support for
global warming and a very great amount of support for the belief
in catastrophic global warming.

One way to address this might be if anyone has attempted to poll
scientists who are entirely unpolitical or ideological (I understand
the difficulty of this). But we may ourselves have some success in
soliciting opinion from well-known extropians who have never
voiced a political opinion.

Lee