[ExI] EP and Peak oil

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue Apr 1 14:50:08 UTC 2008

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Lee, the world is 40 years behind where it should be on nuclear power
> as a direct result of anti-rationalist environmentalist meddling in
> government.

The fact that you would be so factually ignorant and irrational as to
talk about "anti-rationalist environmentalist meddling" is a bad sign
indeed.

Someone who is irrational is a problem.

Someone who is irrational and claims "rationalism" as the justification
for their dogmatic beliefs is sinister.

What is even more ridiculous, for me, is that your conclusions about
nuclear power are not, by themselves, inaccurate.  But linking that
analysis to a statement about "anti-rationalist environmentalist
meddling" betrays an inability to understand the system as a whole.

For example, one side effect of the nuclear resurgence now taking place
is that the proliferation problem is quietly diversifying into new and
terrifying directions:

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/dn13459-disposable-nuclear-reactors-raise-security-fears.html

It is news such as this that makes it seem that those "anti-rationalist
environmentalists" may have been correct in saying that nuclear power is
managed so irresponsibly that, in practice, it has world-threatening
side effects.

The issue, then, is whether nuclear power and renewable sources can be
developed in such a tightly controlled and secure manner that the
considerable dangers of nuclear power can be kept under control.

Richard Loosemore