[ExI] EP and Peak oil

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue Apr 1 17:36:56 UTC 2008

Eliezer writes

> Lee, the world is 40 years behind where it should be on nuclear power
> as a direct result of anti-rationalist environmentalist meddling in
> government.

You're preaching to the choir!  Yes, indeed, I couldn't agree more.

> As a result, the world also has 40 years of excess carbon emissions
> from coal plants that should never have been built.
>
> It is not necessarily possible for the "free market" to swoop in and
> fix these problems after they have had 40 years to get worse.

Oh, absolutely correct again.  No amount of allegiance to capitalism
or the ideals of a truly free market can address the manifold problems
of excess government interference in economic matters. Only a
concerted understanding by the populace of democratic countries
of the basics of sound economics, and a willingness to abandon
"government" as the solution to every purported problem or "crisis"
can effectively address the problem.

> The "free market" has *already* been stomped on, and the lead time to
> fix things is not instantaneous.
>
> If I put it that way, do you see how much trouble we may be in?

The "trouble we're in" is only relative, in my opinion. Yes, it's very sad
to see the foolish and ignorant ways that we have been economically held
back from where we should have been. First move: stop all government
subsidies of ethanol, solar power, wind power, and every other kind of
development; honestly gained profit is the driver of the creation of wealth.

Second move, stop huge government "investments" of  massive funds that
create the political corruption, the "military-industrial complex", the "education
complex", the "agriculture-industrial complex", and create so many, many
hungry and avaricious lobbyists, and so on and on.  Perhaps not overnight,
but just as soon as can be reasonably managed.

Lee