[ExI] Behavioral Screeners

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Apr 5 04:15:47 UTC 2008

>...On Behalf Of Amara Graps
> Subject: [ExI] Behavioral Screeners
>
> Spike:
> >Johnny, your comment would have been more convincing had it not been
> >posted the same day as this:
> >http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1158565
>
> ...chemists and explosives experts have been highly skeptical of
> it working, and the TSA and UK authorities have blithely
> insisted that they believe it could come true.
>
> Now, readers of Bruce Schneier's security blog are invited to
> weigh in on the feasibility of such a scheme, given the
> information that just emerged in court:"
>
> Schneier and his readers:
> http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2008/04/the_liquid_bomb.html
>
> Amara

Amara, it sounds like they didn't really have the means to blow up these
planes with the technology they were using.  This is reassuring to some
extent, so yes in that sense I do feel safer now.  They only *wanted* to
blow up planes, but couldn't because the screening system disallows
sufficient quantities of liquids.  Were this not the case, their job would
be easy: they could carry a number of bottles of pure alcohol, nothing more
sophisticated required: a few liters poured on the floor, ignited with an
improvised computer-battery powered nichrome loop for instance.  Good chance
that would cause a crash, for the in-flight inferno would be very difficult
to extinguish.