[ExI] Against government science funding was Re: New Hope for Alzheimer's Disease Vaccine

John Winters ferox314 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 21:47:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki
<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > Most of the basic science breakthroughs which have ultimately given us
> > the medical care we enjoy has been publicly funded
>
> ### Do you know that 85% of all science funding in the US comes from private
> money?

Yes, but 70% of all private money is spent on applied science, 30% on
basic science.  For public money it is roughly the reverse, 70% is
spent on basic science, 30% on applied science.  So his assertion that
most basic science breakthroughs are publicly funded is correct.
Applied scienceis ultimately based on basic science knowledge.  The
private sector can think of that as a government hand out.

JW