[ExI] harlotry again

ben benboc at lineone.net
Sat Apr 12 12:27:18 UTC 2008

John Grigg wrote:

 > A big part of the discrepancy here is that this former Oxford scholar
 > has evidently horrific emotional/self-esteem problems that emerged in
 > way that pushed her toward self-degradation and self-destruction.
She > was not a fairly "normal" attractive young woman trying to pay for
 > college by discreetly engaging in high-end prostitution "on the
side."  > This was an extremely psychologically messed up girl who was
driven to > degrade herself.
 > Sadly, she is hardly alone in doing these sort of things (and though
I > don't know the full details) and I tend to feel really sorry for her
 > former husband.  I bet she put him through hell.

Funnily enough, i was just reading about this girl.

My impression is that she is definitely not messed-up, and has not been
driven to 'degrade herself' (do you regard prostitution, per se, to be a
degrading career?).

On the contrary, she claims to be 'very happy' with her career choice,
and has high self-esteem. She says that she has an amicable relationship
with her ex-husband.

She was 'hot-housed' by her parents, and entered Oxford University at
13, studying Maths. It was when her father started talking about an
arranged marriage that she ran away at the age of 15. She says "I felt
very independent and wanted to be in control of my life". She stayed in
hostels, then was taken into foster care. At 18 she met and later
married a guy, but separated after 12 months. She then went to
Manchester to study for a Masters degree in economics, and this was when
she started doing escort work, to help pay off her debts.

Here are some more quotes from a recent magazine interview with her:

"I don't see it as a terrible thing. It's something I drifted into by
chance. I never judged girls who worked as escorts and was always
fascinated by it. There is this huge stigma attached to escorting but I
don't see it like that"

"I'm still young and I can't decide on what I want to do in the future.
My escorting work provides me with a fabulous life and I don't want to
give it up just yet."

"I have a nice life - I don't want for anything and I'm in control. I
haven't had much freedom in my life and I'm enjoying it."

Doesn't sound like someone with horrific emotional and self-esteem
problems to me!
More like an extremely intelligent girl who's decided to take control of
her own life and do what she wants to do. More power to her, I say.

ben zaiboc