[ExI] tiny martians again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 17 14:22:36 UTC 2008

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:54 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> >  ...all of the Mars missions
> > should be  undertaken by these valuable specially-abled
> > little persons.
>
> Good point, something I hadn't realized before.
>
> Unfortunately the space programs that are just PR programs in
> superpower politics would never want to give the impression
> of their nation being a nation of midgets... Aleksei Riikonen

Ask not what space programs are, but rather what they will be: governments
out, private funding in.  If done with private funding, using a tiny
astronaut is an option that suddenly becomes far more attractive, or even
completely necessary.

> ...Can we find enough of them willing to take the risk? ... Ablainey

Ja, for I propose taking only one.

>...what happens when the first human martian (Marman? Hutian?) offspring
turn out to be full sized?  ...Ablainey

We verify the astronaut is not pregnant when she leaves.  The mission is for
three years, no landing involved.  She gets out of a problem larger
astronauts would have: the body dumps calcium upon entering weightlessness,
much of that from the femurs.  A fifteen pound person would be effected much
less by the change.

She would operate partially autonomous remotely controlled construction
equipment from Mars synchronous orbit.  The stuff she would build from orbit
would be usable by ordinary sized people, who would come later.