[ExI] plain text

Joseph Bloch seculartranshumanist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 01:30:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Stefano wrote
>

> > However, if you want to profit from HTML features,
> > there is no alternative. And yes, in many cases this
> > is unnecessary and equivalents can be found (e.g.
> > *bold*, /italic/, etc.). On the other hand, losing
> > hyperlinks is sometimes a pity.
>
> Why can't the hyperlink be converted to plain text?
> I myself often copy things into a plain-text editor
> to get rid of html before posting, and I've never had
> any problem with links failing to show up.
>

>From a purely philosophical point of view, I find it interesting that we are
debating how best to bring everyone's level of posting to the lowest common
denominator (plain text) to suit the wishes of a very small minority of
individuals, rather than discussing how we can improve their own technology
to avail themselves of the best the list can, in theory, offer (html).
Hyperlinks are only one of many things that could get tossed in the
interests of accommodating the horse-and-buggy set.

There exist competent HTML mail programs that won't offer duplicates,
security programs (or settings in the aforementioned mail programs) that
will avail against malicious attachments, and so forth. Use 'em, sez I.

Joseph
http://www.seculartranshumanist.com