[ExI] Slavery in the Future

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:00:35 UTC 2008

On 18/04/2008, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may say that soldiers or sex workers, etc., could simply be human-like
> hardware bots instead of wetware biologicals.  But I bet some future
> societies will want to augment their "hardware bot resources" with sentient
> biologicals (both out of sentimentality and perhaps practicality, machines
> may not be able to do everything better).

I can't imagine that anyone would use resentful biologicals if
machines can do an equal or better job and either not mind or love it.
The only reason for doing this would be sadism. There are some
sadists, of course, but the vast majority of the vast amount of evil
in human history is not driven by sadism. Bad people are bad because
they gain something out of it other than pleasure in badness.

--
Stathis Papaioannou