[ExI] Slavery in the Future

hkhenson hkhenson at rogers.com
Fri Apr 18 15:32:44 UTC 2008

At 06:00 AM 4/18/2008, Stathis wrote:
>On 18/04/2008, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You may say that soldiers or sex workers, etc., could simply be human-like
> > hardware bots instead of wetware biologicals.  But I bet some future
> > societies will want to augment their "hardware bot resources" with sentient
> > biologicals (both out of sentimentality and perhaps practicality, machines
> > may not be able to do everything better).
>
>I can't imagine that anyone would use resentful biologicals if
>machines can do an equal or better job and either not mind or love it.

Exactly.  In the future biologicals or machines will be designed so
they love what they do.  I.e., Suskulan who gives the villigers what
they want.  Poof!

>The only reason for doing this would be sadism. There are some
>sadists, of course, but the vast majority of the vast amount of evil
>in human history is not driven by sadism. Bad people are bad because
>they gain something out of it other than pleasure in badness.

I think it's more complicated and worse in a way.  Most of what we
consider evil is just the outcome of evolved mechanisms that--when
prospects look bleak--go into a mode that fixes the problem.  Since
almost all such problems can be fixed by reducing the population,
that's what happens.

Keith