[ExI] Reinforcing our Prejudices

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 22:33:36 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008, Lee Corbin wrote:
> What is your opinion of Thomas Szasz's claims, e.g., "The Myth
> of Mental Illness"?

One of the interesting aspects of mental illness is that we start
getting into computational physics, brains, mind, personality, and all
sorts of interesting mixes of problems. From my understanding of
Szasz's book, this was not a cybernetic approach to the mind. The
cybernetic approach simply means that *anything going on in the brain*
is in fact occuring and can ultimately be altered whether by
mechanical, electrical, or some other intervening methodologies. So
what would it matter whether or not an 'illness' (read: problem) is
social in nature? Or biochemical? Something has to change, no?

- Bryan