[ExI] Against government science funding was Re: New Hope for Alzheimer's Disease Vaccine

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Apr 19 07:03:09 UTC 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 4:04 AM, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 4:44 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> I think that while war is a very ugly thing, scientific spinoffs from
>> military research have been hugely beneficial to society in general.
>
> Whatever one may think of First and Second and Cold War, they have
> corresponded to periods of accelerated technological progress.

We actually have no way of knowing how much progress would have been
made without these long drawn out expensive exercises replete with a
lot of major moral compromise and expansion of Big Brother.    The
argument that military adventurism and heavy military spending is
justified because it leads to technological progress is decidedly post
hoc.

- samantha